The University of Iowa's Theme Semester is a collaboration that brings diverse perspectives to bear on a topic of importance to Iowa and the world every spring semester. Grounded in the education mission of the university, the Theme Semester provides opportunities for teaching, engagement, and learning both on campus and throughout the state of Iowa. The events and activities surrounding each theme are meant to help the university forge new partnerships, promote publicly engaged scholarship, and contribute to communities statewide.
For more information visit https://theme.uiowa.edu.
Each theme semester strives to accomplish the following four goals:
- Promote attention to the theme as a vital field of study across all 11 colleges, spanning a number of different disciplines
- Build partnerships among individuals and groups working toward similar goals
- Engage Iowans in the semester-long conversation of how the topic reflects in the work being done in communities across the state
- Secure ongoing support for the most promising initiatives that emerge from the semester so as to retain the momentum for generations of Iowans to come
Theme Semester Spring 2017: Our Lives Online
Our Lives Online, the spring 2017 Theme Semester on the Internet, will explore the global system of connectedness, networks, and collaboration discovered in our past and emerging in our present future.
There are many opportunities to get involved with Our Lives Online both locally and statewide, including attending an Our Lives Online activity, submitting work to be featured on the website, planning a Theme Semester event or activity, and more. Learn how to get involved today.
Join the conversation using #UITHEME.
Theme Semester Spring 2016: Just Living
Just Living, the 2016 Theme Semester, explored social justice. Throughout the academic year, there were:
- 30 marquee activities curated for Just Living
- 466 related activities tagged on the UI events calendar
- 96 courses identified with connection to the theme
Theme Semester Spring 2015: Food for Thought
Food for Thought was the university's first annual Theme Semester. Throughout the academic year, there were:
- 17 marquee activities curated for Food for Thought
- 406 related activities tagged to the UI events calendar
- 18 courses identified with connection to the theme