The University of Iowa’s Resource Conservation & Development (RC&D) Partnership is a community engagement initiative that partners the University of Iowa with Iowa’s nine Resource Conservation & Development non-profit organizations to help build strong, sustainable communities and improve the quality of life in Iowa. The University of Iowa works with the nine RC&Ds through a variety of projects, workshops, and grant collaborations that cover topics including environmental conservation, sustainable development, arts and culture, economic development, community health and wellness, and non-profit development. The Office of Outreach & Engagement also works closely with the Iowa League of Resource Conservation & Development which provides leadership, services, and a unified voice to its member RC&D organizations.
The RC&D Partnership provides numerous opportunities for students and faculty at the University of Iowa to connect with communities across the state, utilizing both student-led community engagement, where students complete real-world projects in their academic courses, and community-based research, where faculty and staff collaborate with the RC&Ds to complete research within communities in Iowa. Through this partnership, the University of Iowa and Iowa’s Resource Conservation & Development organizations demonstrate their renewed commitment to serving the people and communities of the state.
The Office of Outreach & Engagement launched a 3-year partnership with Iowa’s Resource Conservation & Development (RC&D) non-profit organizations in fall 2014. Limestone Bluffs RC&D led the initial partnership development in conjunction with staff from the Office of Outreach & Engagement. The nine RC&Ds submitted their first topic and project proposals in August 2014, and throughout the first year of the partnership, Office of Outreach & Engagement staff identified campus partners to match with their proposals. A variety of workshops, grant proposals, community-based learning courses, and UI staff and faculty outreach projects were identified and completed. Now in the second year of the partnership, the Office of Outreach & Engagement and the nine RC&Ds are continuing to strengthen their commitment to rural Iowa by expanding the variety and quantity of project proposals and campus partnerships.
On Campus Partners
- Arts Share, http://artshare.uiowa.edu/
- Career Leadership Academy, http://careers.uiowa.edu/leadershipacademy
- College of Engineering, http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/
- College of Public Health, http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/
- Department of Cinematic Arts, http://clas.uiowa.edu/ccl/
- Digital Scholarship and Publishing Studio, https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/studio/
- Grant Wood Art Colony, http://grantwood.uiowa.edu/
- Iowa Writers' Workshop, http://writersworkshop.uiowa.edu/
- John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (JPEC), https://www.iowajpec.org/
- Office of the State Archeologist, http://archaeology.uiowa.edu/
- School of Art & Art History, http://www.art.uiowa.edu/
- School of Library and Information Science, http://slis.grad.uiowa.edu/
- School of Journalism & Mass Communications, http://clas.uiowa.edu/sjmc/
- School of Urban & Regional Planning, http://urban.uiowa.edu/
- Tippie College of Business, http://tippie.uiowa.edu/
- UI Partners, http://uipartners.org/
- Vice President for Research & Economic Development, http://research.uiowa.edu/