University of Iowa


Top Frequently Asked Questions

I am a student at Iowa.  How do I get involved with the Office of Outreach and Engagement?

A. There are a few different ways students can work with the Office of Outreach and Engagement.

  1. Through classes: Each year, professors in a variety of disciplines incorporate community-engaged learning projects in their courses. The actual courses involved depend upon community needs as well as curriculum requirements. Matches are made between community partners and faculty during the months leading up to the start of the academic session. This typically occurs after registration for classes is complete. However, one class that regularly incorporates community-engagement projects is the Project Design and Management Civil Engineering capstone course.
  2. Through independent study:  To work with the Office of Outreach and Engagement on a community project, our staff can help you identify community partners, secure a faculty advisor, assist with project development and management, and assess your project’s outcomes and success. Please contact us to learn more. 
  3. Graduate student assistantships: The Office of Outreach and Engagement provides graduate student assistantships each year to MFA students in art and art history, dance, music, theatre, and the Writers' Workshop. These positions are offered through each associated graduate program. To learn more about these opportunities, check with one of the above graduate programs.
  4. Marketing and social media intern: The Office of Outreach and Engagement employs students to help market the activities the office coordinates and sponsors. Applications are typically accepted in July for the fall. Look for job postings on HireaHawk.

I am a faculty, staff, or student at Iowa. Can I get funding for my outreach/engagement project through the Office of Outreach and Engagement? 

A: Yes, Outreach and Engagement awards grants ranging from $250 to $10,000 for outreach and engagement projects to University of Iowa faculty, staff, and graduate students.  Check out our grants page to learn more about criteria and deadlines.

I am not part of the university – can I still get funding for my engagement project? 

A: Grants are only awarded to University of Iowa faculty, staff, and graduate students; however, grant applicants may collaborate with an outside organization.

How can a community partner with the office on a project or projects?

A. To be considered for a community partnership, please fill out a brief project proposal form. Or, consider a full Iowa Initiative for Sustainable Communities (IISC) partnership. Each year, IISC works with a partner community selected through a competitive process.  If you are interested in the IISC partnership, we recommend first talking with our staff.  A Request for Proposal is generally released in late fall. 

I’m interested in a public art project for my community.  Can the Office of Outreach and Engagement help with that?

A: Outreach and Engagement staff have overseen many successful public art projects.  We encourage you to fill out a brief project proposal form to make a request.  Public art projects are dependent on the availability of artists.

I’m interested in job shadowing at one of the UI Health Care locations. How can I arrange that?

A: Information about UI Health Care job shadows can be found here. Please note that only individuals who are 18 and older and in a related field of study are allowed to shadow within University of Iowa Health Care. Students under the age of 18 are encouraged to participate in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Education group experiences with a school or local organization. Students under 18 may also attend Community Health Seminars or Mini Medical School programs hosted by University of Iowa Health Care. High school students living in Benton, Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn, and Washington counties may be eligible to participate in a group interest day that is coordinated through their school and Workplace Learning Connection.

I work at a K-12 school and I’m looking for University of Iowa pennants or other materials for a college fair or other initiative at my school. How can I request these items?

A: Please contact the Office of Admissions at or 319-335-3847.